Thursday, March 11, 2010

I want to mass produce fillers for shaved door handles, what is the best sheet metal for the job?

i guess i didnt make myself clear enough in the last question... i plan on manufacturing at least a few hundred of these so i cant just run to the jusk yard and cut some out. i plan on stamping them out in a machine shop. what i need to know, is in your experiences, what grade of sheet metal worked best for you. i.e. high cabon, low carbon, galvanized... oh, and yes i am a girl, but i am also a manufacturing engineer, so i will know what you are talking about so please, get technicalI want to mass produce fillers for shaved door handles, what is the best sheet metal for the job?
Do you mean metal plates to cover the holes left when you remove your door handles on a car or truck? Well, if so, then there are some things that come to mind: If it's to be sold to the public, for them to fit and weld in place, then I would recommend that it not be too thin. The thinner it is, the harder to weld, and if they are not professionals, you might want to stick to heavier guages, like 16. Also, if they might be of the do-it-yourself mindset, they might not bother to have your filler pieces sandblasted or pickeled prior to filling/painting...so it may be better to used Cold Rolled sheet, that has no mill scale oxide on it...or, if your supplier stocks it, hot rolled sheet that has been pickled.





Since this is a small part you are producing, I can see no reason to bother with trying to use a higher-carbon steel. The weld on such a small rectangle would wipe the temper right out of it anyway. Plus, it will cost YOU more in raw material, and possibly wear the dies on your machines faster than low-carbon steel would.





I would avoid galvanized, simply because it's not worth it with all the welding, and there's no sense in subjecting your future customers to the hassle of removing the zinc at the joints, and avoiding the poisonous fumes.





So, I guess we're looking at something that has low carbon content (.010-.015?), and has no mill scale oxide, is NOT galvanized, and is not too thin. I don't know what machine you'll be using, so I don't know if you need to specify that the sheet be completely annealed. I don't know many steel suppliers in my area that stock that anyway. I'm sure they'll have something in this criteria, that will meet your needs.





And, if it was NOT door handle covers for cars that you were referring to, then please ignore everything I said.I want to mass produce fillers for shaved door handles, what is the best sheet metal for the job?
my own guess on this is that you would wantto use 14 or 16 guage basic sheet metal.... so that you don't have a dissimular metal bond and increase the likleyhood of corrosion I wouldn;t use galvinazed since it take some different prepwork and certian primers may not adhere as well
  • sell makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment