Saturday, March 13, 2010

Where can I buy sheet metal like aluminum preferably about 1/8'; to 3/8'; thick?

I'm trying to shape it to make a part.Where can I buy sheet metal like aluminum preferably about 1/8'; to 3/8'; thick?
There are different alloys. Some if you try to bend-it it will crack and break.


Some are easy to machine, some just sticks to the tool, and is hell on earth!


3/8 are plates.


1/8 are sheets.


Not the same price per pound鈥?br>




You need to get samples to try out


Hope this properly answers your questionWhere can I buy sheet metal like aluminum preferably about 1/8'; to 3/8'; thick?
Hey there..I get some pretty good scrap pieces from Ebay ..yea ebay..I have purchased a half a sheet of 1/8'; and made a firewall for a car I have ..I went to all my local scrap yards and nothing worth getting.., I tried ryerson steel but the shipping fee was off the wall because of the size 4' x 8' ..I tried a local sheet metal shop, they had exactly what i wanted but they wanted again 5 prices for it.. I got the piece on ebay for about 15 dollars and the shipping was about 15 dollars..I thought I got a good deal. Maybe not...Well have a good one from the E...
onlinemetals.com ebay.com mcmaster.com useenco.com











If you get over 1/8 you wouldnt call it sheet metal anymore but stock.





Ebay is cheap if they have the size you want


onlinemetals is a good price


mcmaster has everything but not cheap.





useenco can be cheap if your use there free shipping coupons. ( ESP689 free shipping with order of $99+)
One of the best places to get it professionally is :





http://www.precisionsheetmetal.com/





otherwise, ebay, mcmaster, scrap yard is the way to go.
I prefer the local scrap yard. For new material, Aircraft Spruce sells this, see http://www.aircraftspruce.com/ . Get their catalog, it is worth it. For small quantities see http://www.smallparts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment