Sunday, March 7, 2010

In my basement nailed to some joists are pieces of sheet metal they ....?

don't go all the way across from wall to wall does any one know what they might be for???In my basement nailed to some joists are pieces of sheet metal they ....?
They are return air duct for your furnas. The builder used the wall and floor joyces for the return air instead of fabricated duct work. This is a common pratice in the residential HVAC industry to keep the cost down.In my basement nailed to some joists are pieces of sheet metal they ....?
Great name for the DIY category, smile.





Sheets of sheet metal. Might it have been at one time an oil burner/furnace was located UNDER them? Doesn't sound at all like duct work to me, but I'm just exercising my 1st. ammendment.





Steven Wolf


Just my two ';sense';





Ducting is hardly SHEET METAL
They are probably return air ducts for a forced air system.





Edit -Are there registers in the floor or wall above?


It may be just a jumper duct to help ventilate a room.
the ends are capped because the ductwork is for the floor vents above. its very common practise to do that.
Its a cold air return.

No comments:

Post a Comment