Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sterling Silver sheet metal - best place to buy? Best tool to cut it with?

I want to make sterling silver charms and such, stamping them with names, words, etc. Already found a source for the letter stamps, but need a good source for purchasing the sterling silver sheet metal, preferably online. Also - I've heard of people cutting it with a small saw, then filing the edges. Is this the most effective way, or could I use something along the lines of tin snips? Thanks!Sterling Silver sheet metal - best place to buy? Best tool to cut it with?
I recommend either Rio Grande or Hoover and Strong (www.riogrande.com or www.hooverandstrong.com). My preference is Rio, mostly because they're really nice and didn't misspell my name--their ordering system is also easier. Also, they sell tools (like a jeweler's saw frame and blades). The saw frames aren't too expensive, and blades were around $6 for a gross last I checked. You can use tin snips (aka aviator shears), but I find I get really nasty edges with them (I don't know if it's me or the tool).


Btw, remember that the price of silver varies from day to day, so be aware of that when you place your order. (It's currently on the pricey side, around $11-$15/oz.)

No comments:

Post a Comment