Sunday, March 7, 2010

I need to cut the thin sheet metal (steel) on the inside wheel well of my 71 impala. What tool should I use?

I need a handheld power tool that will make a nice, clean cut inside my wheel well. What is easiest way to this. Need advise from someone who has actually cut sheet metal before. Thank you.I need to cut the thin sheet metal (steel) on the inside wheel well of my 71 impala. What tool should I use?
The best tool would be a ';double cutter'; Its very similar to a sheet metal nibbler but instead of making a single cut it cuts about a 1/4 inch strip of metal. By doing this you don't have to lift one side of the sheet to get the tool through properly as you would with a nibbler. It will make going through larger sheets (as you will be doing) much easier. Grinders will work as well but you cant get smooth curves with them since they cut straight lines. I purchased a double cutter head that fits on into my drill and cost about $50.I need to cut the thin sheet metal (steel) on the inside wheel well of my 71 impala. What tool should I use?
What you need is a ';metal nibbler';. It's the best solution because it cuts the metal without distorting it on either side of the cut or creating lots of burrs and sharp edges in the process. And it doesn't heat up the metal like a torch or abrasive grinding process would which could distort it or compromise its integrity.





You can get manual nibblers, or air or electric powered ones. I put links to 2 types below.





Good luck-


...
Assuming you can support a CUT, a Sawzall, with a metal blade can work. Certainly a Cutting torch, or Plasma cutter could as well, but you risk stepping back from the flaming wreckage.





CLEAN is a Relative word. Certainly on a defined line you can CUT, but should also be thinking to grind to a finer perspective.





I'll assume this is to accomodate a larger Wheel, and Tire?





I added new tires recently that scraped the well in turns. I cut an appropriate amount away, with a sawzall, and didn't strictly need to GRIND, because my vehicle isn't a SHOW car that will be inspected in any level of perfection, but the cutting did aleviate the problem.





Steven Wolf
You can make a near perfect cut about 1/16 inch wide using a cutoff-wheel in an air grinder. The small air grinder is available from Import tool houses for about $15 and those thin cutoff abrasive wheels for about 50 cents each.





Once you get the initial cut started, an ordinary electric Saber Saw with a fine metal cutting blade will do a nice job cutting metal. That is also available at Import tool houses or at Sears Craftsman and even Walmart has one of those. . Those cost in the neighborhood of around $30





Lets say you dont want to buy the air grinder for an initial cut. Then just take a sharp chisel and make an initial cut so that your Saber Saw blade can enter the sheet metal. Then cut with the Saber Saw.
Sounds like a good job for your sawzall (recip saw) and grinder/files. If it'll fit, a jig saw can often make a cleaner/straighter cut - yeah I know all about 'operator error'. *L*. There are good bimetal blades available for each type of saw.





Not sure about a Rotozip w/either a cut-off wheel or XBit. Some of my friends swear by them but...


http://www.rotozip.com





$$$ can be saved by careful tool purchases.


Consumables are NOT the place to get cheap though.


Grinder bits/disks/cutoff wheels are an accident looking for a place to happen at best case.


Many of us have the damaged safety glasses as proof...
If you use an angle grinder it will be difficult to cut curves, and you won't get into tight spaces, the tool you need is an electric or air powered saw which uses hack saw type blades. They are not too expensive. Drill a 1/2'; hole to get you started.
All good answers above, also, you may want to consider a decent rotary tool. (not a dremel of course) You can purchase a good rotary/grinder tool with attachments at Lowes or Sears for less than $50. Many years ago (on my first car as a teenager)I had to do the same thing when my cars wheel well rusted through, my shock tower started leaning and I had to cut away the remaining pieces and replaced with 1/4 bent steel. It worked great.
  • sell makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment