Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I need to glue/weld a lock to a piece of sheet metal (metal on metal) what should I use?

I bought this industrial strength adhesive containing toluene and was wondering if that will be strong enough or should I go buy some JB weld? any other suggestions?I need to glue/weld a lock to a piece of sheet metal (metal on metal) what should I use?
Toluene is just a solvent.





As to whether your industrial strength will work or whether JB Weld will work is totally dependent on what type of forces you want this glued on lock to withstand.





To get the best possible adhesion from whatever you use, both surfaces need to be washed down with a non-residue cleaner like acetone, MEK, MIBK or some other hot solvent (no reference to temperature...refers to solvents action)...use a clean cloth.








Good luck...





I need to glue/weld a lock to a piece of sheet metal (metal on metal) what should I use?
i am a operations engineer, let me tell you that there is nothing better than jb weld. there products have gotten me out of many jam. you must follow the complete directions to the letter, when applying the mix make sure you make a small pyramid at the base of the shackle that is going to be placed up against the metal sheet (shape it so that it covers up the whole area completely of the bend) you want to even take a green monster scrubby and scruff up the area of both items that will be attached with mix and clean up both areas with a solvent that is residual free. when done applying, make sure to wait the time period as it describes in the direction. i hope this helps a little
if you going to the trouble to lock it then you need to have it welded .glue can be broke off with a hammer

No comments:

Post a Comment